Dunham House Model of Music Therapy
Our goal is to encourage open and honest dialogue with others within the context of listening to shared music.
Enjoyment and taste in different music genres is unique and individual to the person listening to it.
Music can evoke a multitude of memories and emotions. Learning to share and understand where these thoughts and emotions come from can have an impact on how we grow to understand ourselves better.
- To learn to express one’s self through shared music
- To learn to appreciate other’s taste in music
- To understand why some music/lyrics or “beat” offers solace or joy
- To understand how music makes one feel and how to find that “better” place when one needs too
- To learn to express one’s self through the use of instruments
- To learn cooperation and respect for others when one is “jamming” together
Music is everywhere and easily accessible through the radio, the internet and even in the shopping mall! It provides us with a link to the outside world, both past and present where we can generate emotion and calm our inner selves.
Learning to understand how music can and does play a role in our lives gives us another tool to cope with days when they are not going as planned and helps to center us and find our inner calm.
Learned skills like the benefits have music therapy can have a positive and far-reaching impact on our lives.